An amazing collaboration between Phases 2, 3 & 4 has resulted in Oakley School being awarded GOLD in the Schools Environmental Challenge 2021. The Challenge required us to submit a portfolio with the following evidence:-
1. How the school seeks to encourage wildlife (flora & fauna), e.g. Bird Feeders, wildflower meadow, pond, bug hotels etc.
2. How the schools educate young people in the needs of the natural world (schools website, action plans, ECO Schools, Exo Warriors or another area of information would suffice).
3. A short 1-page action plan.
4. A map or drawing of the school grounds showing areas of biodiversity and the habitats being maintained or created.
5. A list of the species the children/students have identified.
6. Information as to any native plantings carried out, such as native hedgerows or trees.
7. What measures are taken to monitor the school or wider environment – Weather Stations etc.
8. What actions are being taken to reduce the school's environmental impact? -Recycling, conserving energy, water harvesting and/or other actions that reduce the human footprint.
9. Any actions to encourage additional species visiting the school grounds.
10. Awareness and protection of visiting wildlife such as foxes, bats and badgers.
11. Level of external support e.g. volunteers, parents & information regarding grants or external funds received.
Congratulations and Well Done to everyone involved!